Friday, June 13, 2008

Pioneer children games

All right. I know I haven't posted in a while, so here's another one. You see, my big brother and sister went on  the Zion's Trek, which was basically a 3-day hike while pulling handcarts and acting like they're kids from the 1800's. So, my dad wanted me and curtis (Don't ask me why i didn't put cody too) to research a few pioneer games. Well, here's the report.
Pioneers had many different games to entertain themselves during the 2000 mile trip to oregon and other places. Some games were, rolling the hoop, making dolls, leap frog, hopscotch, horseshoes, and hide and seek. Some of those games would seem pretty strange to do during a hike, but the children wanted any excuse to get out of working instead. When they were rarely inside, they would play games like I spy, jacks, tic-tac-toe, cards, checkers, and marbles. These games helped them pass the time. Some of the mormon pioneers also played games like, pull the stick, and Helaman's stripling warriors. As you can see, there are many many things the pioneer children could do while taking a break from working. Heck, maybe you could even try a few. Yeah, try a few. See what it was like for the pioneers to live without TV.

No comments: